Secrets to Being Glamorous for Every Occassion – Cleaning
For some reason, I’ve received more emails from you lovely readers in the last three weeks than ever before. I’ve been overwhelmed by all the messages of thanks, inspiration and loveliness. However, there is one common question that bares examination and that is “How do you do it?”
I started writing an answer to this which ended up very, very long and may still not have helped you in any meaningful way, so I have another idea. You tell me what you believe your road blocks are to living the glamorous life you’d like to, and I’ll do my best to give you some tools to find the answer!
So to get the ball rolling I asked you on Twitter, ” What are your excuses / reasons for not getting glammed up each day?” And here is what you had to say.
CLEANING & Other Messy Work - Possibly the most un-glam moment in our days, that is unless like me you are apt to get pooped on, ’cause that happens too and it ain’t so fancy.
Here is how to be glamorous (as possible) while cleaning. Like many other situations, it pays to be prepared. For me, this means that I have a specific heavy duty cleaning / gardening outfit.
- I don’t own a pair of modern jeans but I needed something equally sturdy so I made myself a pair of denim wide leg pants. I know not all of you can sew, but the key here is that I chose something that was a flattering style, in a good weight fabric, that is easy to throw in the washing machine afterwards.
- Up top, I wear fitted plaid cotton shirts that have a bit of stretch to them. I found a few at the op shop for $2 each, so no budget breaker there and I’m not afraid to get them dirty. The key here is fitted. Wearing something two sizes too big is not necessary. It is not going to keep you any cleaner, make you scrub harder or feel good. If you can still see your shape the whole outfit is going to look infinitely better.
- To keep dust and dirt out of my hair I pin it up and cover it with a head scarf. It gives the whole outfit a bit of a Rosie the Riveter look, and that way if anyone pops around while I’m “at work” I’ll look like I was serious about it and not just having a style stroke in holey old track pants!
- I have pink canvas trainers for working indoors and rose print gumboots for outdoors. Both bought for under $20 each and look a hell of a lot better than moccasins. Your choice might be ballet flats, but please for goodness sake no crocs or gym shoes. They are the antithesis of glamour and will kill all your other efforts in one fell swoop.
- Face. I may not apply a full face of makeup if I plan to be digging holes or cleaning toilets, but I don’t go totally nude. I wear sunscreen (not negotiable in Australia), tinted moisturiser, mascara and red lipstick. That way if I have to pop out to the nursery I’ll feel like a ray of sunshine. And if it is only me and the grungy bath tub? I can make kissy faces at myself in the mirror while listening to Doris Day as I scrub away.
All of this advice is how I tackle a day of heavy cleaning as opposed to the usual tidying up which doesn’t require such drastic measures. Now, I’m not suggesting that you should follow this advice to the letter and go out and get all retro (but it is fun), however if you take the spirit of these items and translate them for your own unique look you’ll find your cleaning ‘uniform’. What you may be able to recognise in this list is a theme that will run through almost all the subsequent guide posts, and that is; You Need To Have a Plan.
One of the biggest road blocks to looking good each day is not knowing what we are going to put on and then reaching for the nearest pair of jeans hastily slung over the bed. If you have specific, purpose built outfits for tasks like cleaning, you’ll always know what your go to look is and you’ll be able to significantly cut down on the time it takes to get dressed. Remember, the concept of glamour is not defined by the little black dress. Glamour is about how you wear what you wear – with flair and polish – no matter the occassion. And the red lipstick? Well that works for any occassion and adds instant glamour in five seconds flat!
There were oodles of responses to my question on Twitter and I’ll be answering each one. If you’d like to have your say about your excuses or reasons for not getting glammed up when you secretly wish you were, leave me a comment and we’ll add it to the list.